Gen. Eric Schneiderman said the bank’s efforts to help homeowners were simply “not good enough.” Schneiderman announced Wednesday that his office has filed a complaint against the San Francisco-based financial giant over what he claims is its failure to comply with last year’s landmark $25-billion National Mortgage Settlement. Schneiderman said Wells Fargo sent a letter to a committee monitoring the mortgage settlement offering to voluntarily take steps, but the bank refused to acknowledge its shortcomings. Their communication with customers is terrible, Schneiderman told reporters Wednesday at his offices in Manhattan. Theyre not providing the right folks with the ability to close a deal. And, Schneiderman added, the bank continues to enter into servicing contracts with other companies, forcing homeowners to start all over again with a new servicer. At a news conference at his Manhattan offices, Schneiderman mocked a Wells Fargo letter to a homeowner. Brandishing a copy, he read excerpts riddled with unclear writing, typos and stray characters not from any recognizable alphabet. I appreciate their efforts at honoring the diversity of New York and the fact that they are looking out for the Martian-speaking population, Schneiderman said. The Wells Fargo lawsuit was announced along with a parallel agreement with Bank of America over similar claims. B of A agreed to designate high-level staff to work with counseling and legal-services agencies to speed up pending or delayed modification requests. The bank also agreed, for example, to improve its communications with borrowers over missing documents. Schneiderman left open the possibility of an agreement with Wells Fargo. There is nothing stopping them from stepping forward and negotiating something, the attorney general said.
Sean Penn sponsors Haitian runners for New York City Marathon
“We played hard, the way we expect to play every night. We were rewarded for it. “We kept pressing and wound up with a great result.” Columbus doesn’t know much about blown third-period leads as the Blue Jackets have won 27 straight since January 2012 when leading after two — including a 13-0 mark last season. “The team was working really well together,” said Bobrovsky, who sported a blue velvet and gold crown in the winning dressing room. “We have to be together to win. Tonight we did a great job of that. The hard work paid off.” The Islanders and goalie Evgeni Nabokov seemed to be in complete control before Letestu and Foligno struck. The Blue Jackets managed only 12 shots in the first two periods before turning it on in the third. “Tonight was a full team effort, and we got the job done,” Atkinson said. “Now we have to keep it going. We played Blue Jackets hockey.” New York built its lead in the second on a power-play goal by defenseman Lubomir Visnovsky and an even-strength tally by Matt Moulson . Visnovsky added an assist, and captain John Tavares had two for the Islanders. New York, which won its season opener on Friday with a shootout win at New Jersey, got one goal in four rounds of this tiebreaker against Bobrovsky — by Moulson, who was the only scorer one night earlier. “We got three out of four points, but we have to be doing whatever it takes,” Islanders coach Jack Capuano said. “Keep showing a willingness to compete.
Columbus at New York
Sean Penn is ecstatic that his relief organization will sponsor runners from Haiti to participate in the New York City Marathon next month. “We’ve got five Haitian runners, 10 runners total, running for the team representing Haiti and our organization J/P HRO coming to the New York City Marathon – the marathon. So we’re really looking forward to it,” Penn said. The 53-year old actor, who spoke to The Associated Press on Saturday night, expressed satisfaction that the organization continues to rebuild Haiti with its medical, relocation, structural and community development programs -but also that it brings hope to the island nation. “It’s rewarding. I just came back from Port-au-Prince, where I visited our Haitian marathon runners, and to see that great discipline that Haitians have and that great spirit and the excitement that they have visiting New York for the first time.” RELATED: MADONNA PARTIES WITH EX-HUSBAND SEAN PENN AT FILM LAUNCH Penn started the J/P Health Relief Organization after a catastrophic magnitude-7.0 earthquake ripped through Haiti in January 2010, killing more than 100,000 people. The organization set up camps for displaced residents and facilitated medical clinics. It continues to save lives and brings sustainable programs to benefit the nation. Penn acts as CEO and chairman of the board for the organization. When asked if his efforts to make a meaningful and lasting impact in Haiti made him proud, Penn responded: “I’ve got a group I’m very proud of and really inspired by. Let’s say I’ve been granted a fortunate ticket in.” The two-time Oscar-winning actor made the comments at the world premiere of his film “The Secret Life of Walter Mitty” at the New York Film Festival.