“We have a longstanding relationship with BlackBerry and continue to be big supporters of the company and their products,” a Rogers spokeswoman said in a statement. “The device manufacturers we work with bring a number of devices to market every year. We pick which devices to carry based on the needs of our customers and the decision not to carry this model was made several months ago.” Rogers currently carries the Blackberry Z10, Q10, and Q5, which the carrier said “can meet our customers’ demands for a BlackBerry device.” The company said “this is the way we’ve always done it,” pointing out that it declined to sell the BlackBerry Storm or the 9300. BlackBerry said the Z30 will instead be available in Canada on Bell, Telus , and MTS starting on Oct. 15. As noted by the Canadian Press, Rogers’s decision not to carry the Z30 has angered some who believe the carrier is abandoning BlackBerry in its time of need. “While some media reports have suggested that Rogers’ decision not to carry the device represents a change in our relationship with BlackBerry that’s simply not the case,” Rogers said. “We remain committed to BlackBerry and look forward to continuing to work together.” BlackBerry unveiled the Z30 in late September. As PCMag’s Sascha Segan described it , the Z30 is a “Galaxy S 4-sized maxi-Berry with a 5-inch screen, a bigger battery, and stereo speakers that runs the new BlackBerry OS 10.2.” Two days later, BlackBerry said it would drop two devices from its lineup for a total of four phones: two high-end devices and two entry-level devices in all-touch and QWERTY models. The Z30 will be the company’s high-tier smartphone, while BlackBerry will “re-tier” the Z10 so that it appeals to a more entry-level audience. More recently, however, BlackBerry announced plans to sell its business to a consortium led by Fairfax Financial Holdings Limited, which will take the troubled phone maker private in a $4.7 billion deal.
2 Canadians released from in Egyptian prison after Canada warns detention would mar relations
View gallery The Malaysian firm Petronas, the logo of which is shown here in Kuala Lumpur, is to embark on a $35 billion liquid natural gas project in Canada (AFP Photo/) 9 hours ago Kuala Lumpur (AFP) – Petronas will embark on a $35 billion liquid natural gas (LNG) project in Canada following the reversal of Ottawa’s decision to block the Malaysian national oil company’s purchase of Canadian gas producer Progress Energy Resources. At a joint press conference Sunday with his Canadian counterpart, Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak said this followed from the “approval principally” given for the state energy firm’s $5.5 billion purchase. Najib announced that Petronas will spend CAD$36 billion to build “all the facilities upstream including investment in a pipeline” which he said was the “largest foreign direct investment in Canada by any country”. “We believe this project will be mutually beneficial because it will open up Canadian energy to new markets, principally East Asia,” he added of the “gargantuan investment”. Petronas’ bid for Progress was initially blocked in October last year, raising questions over Canada’s openness to foreign investment, before Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper reversed the decision in December. Harper batted away concerns over Canada’s foreign investment policy Sunday, saying that total FDI “has continued to increase over the past year and has increased very rapidly. I’m told it’s up by almost a third”. “We view the Petronas investments very positively and all the indications I have is that Petronas is looking at further investments. Obviously our policy involves the use of discretion when it comes to state-owned enterprise,” he said. Harper added that each investment would be judged on its own merit and whether it serves the interests of Canada’s economy, while Najib also pointed out that the pipeline deal in the Petronas LNG project has been awarded to a Canadian firm. Government Actress Gives Birth to Son With Husband Olivier Martinez Good Morning America
Canada and Malaysia sign deal to improve cooperation on security issues
5, 2013 the two Canadians held without charges for the past several weeks in Egypt have been released from prison. CAPTION By Associated Press, TORONTO Canadas Foreign Affairs department said late Saturday two Canadians held without charges for the past several weeks in Egypt have been released from prison. Lynne Yelich, a Canadian minister of consular affairs, said Canada welcomes the decision to release John Greyson, a filmmaker and professor, and Tarek Loubani, a physician. Abdi Guled, Jason Straziuso and Associated Press Predawn strike, aimed at high-profile targets, comes two weeks after militants attack on Nairobi mall. Irans supreme leader is optimistic about diplomacy Jason Rezaian Although still suspicious of the U.S., Ayatollah Ali Khamenei applauds the Iranian presidents trip to the U.N. Juan Forero and Marina Villeneuve Uribe relentlessly bashes Santos on Twitter, raising eyebrows with his warnings against the negotiations. Iraqi pilgrims, cafe patrons killed in a day of bloodshed Adam Schreck and Qassim Abdul-Zahra The pair has been held without charges since mid-August. The men say they were observing an anti-government demonstration Aug. 16 when Loubani heeded a call for a doctor and began treating wounded demonstrators while Greyson recorded the unrest on video. The pair released a statement a week ago saying they were beaten and subjected to degrading treatment. Canadian Foreign Minister John Baird warned Egypt that the detention was a significant threat to relations between the two countries. Minister Baird and I were in contact with senior Egyptian officials on numerous occasions concerning this case, and the Embassy of Canada to Egypt worked tirelessly to secure their release, Yelich said in a statement. The statement said Canadian officials are facilitating the departure of Loubani and Greyson from Egypt, and will continue to offer consular services to them. Yelich also expressed appreciation to Egyptian authorities for providing consular access to the Canadians during their detainment.
Petronas to build $35bn LNG plant in Canada
“I can tell you it’s translated into increased business for us in Brunei, in the Philippines and other (regional) nations,” Parent told reporters. He was part of the round table group that met Harper on Saturday in a downtown hotel. Talisman Energy, Bombardier Rail, Teknion Furniture and several major financial institutions are among the Canadian firms already cashing in on regional growth. CAE Inc., does all the pilot training for Air Asia, a discount airline that’s the fastest growing in the region. Canadian business presence in Malaysia may be growing, but the Chinese regional colossus puts Canada-Malaysian two-way trade in sharp perspective and explains the fawning media coverage accorded President Xi’s visit. Canada-Malaysia commercial trade tops out at about $3 billion annually, while China is doing almost $100 billion dollars a year in trade with Malaysia. On Saturday, President Xi said he’d like to see that total hit $160 billion a year by 2017. Small wonder then that Harper is keying in on trade talks with Pacific Rim countries Malaysia included as part of the Trans-Pacific Partnership negotiations. Those talks will be a subtext of the leaders’ summit that begins Monday on the Indonesian island of Bali, where Harper heads later Sunday. Canada and Malaysia also signed a declaration of intent to conclude a new tax agreement that Canadian officials say will reduce tax barriers between the two countries, but a statement from the Prime Minister’s Office contained no details. Note to readers: This is a corrected story.